The History of Ananda Sastralaya
Situating in the capital of Sri lanka, Sri Jayawardanapura Kotte,Ananda Sastralaya plays a major role in protecting the Sri Lankan culture by creating a well-mannered human being with a distinctive personalities and a great humanity to serve the nation.
In a period of being under British rule, spreading the missionary culture via missionary education, the Buddhist culture is almost hidden. By analyzing the famous Buddhist debates placed at Gampola, Panadura, Udanvita, Baddegama & Orugodawatte, an American,major revivalist in Buddhism, Col. Henry Steel Olcott has understood the Buddhist vision clearly and inaugurated Schools for Buddhists with Anagarika Dharmapala, Ven. Mohottiwaththe Gunanandathero and Ven.Hikkaduwe Sri Sumangala thero .etc
Maradana Buddhist English School(Later Ananda College), Kandy Dharmaraja College, Galle Mahinda College are the results of their efforts.
As a primary step, few eminent motherland caring personnel in Kotte has established a school named “Kotte Buddhist Mixed School” on 4th of November 1880 on behalf of Buddhist children.
It was the 1st of January 1890 that Ven. Embulgama Wimalathissa thero along with element leaders in Kotte headed by Thepanis Perera Apuhamy has enhanced the college facilities, locating in a plot of land transferred by the Raja MahaViharaya-Kotte and renamed it as “KotteBuddhist English Mixed School”.
In 1910 under the head master of Mr.D. J. Jayathunga school became “ Jayawardana Shastra Shalawa”.
In the era (1905-1922) the Buddhist Theosophical Society (B.T.S.) has taken over the administration& rehabilitation of island wide Buddhist schools, college gained her brilliant name Ananda Sastralaya Kotte and has taken the huge responsibility to her hand awakening the Buddhists by rebuilding the Sri Lankan culture and still offers a service to the nation .
The head master of Ananda College Mr. S. P. Perera has appointed as the principal of Ananda Sastralaya.
A distinguished scholar and Oxford University degree obtainer Dr. E.W. Adikaram showed a golden period of college by establishing a main hall, laboratories, a hostel and a play ground as the next head master in 1934.
The college has decentralized and opened many branched schools island wide including Mathugama Ananda Sastralaya, Maharagama Vidyakara Vidyalaya, Baththaramulla, Udahamulla, Karawanella, Ruwanwella etc and other schools as Nugegoda Vidyakara Vidyalaya, Mahamaya Vidyalaya etc.
The school cricket was introduced in the period of Mr. Bernard Wickramasinghe in 1934 with a professional cricket coacher Mr. A.G. K. Gunathilaka.